5 Ways To Deal With Unmet Expectations
Want to know a major component to achieving results, maximizing your potential, having a high-performing team, and being fulfilled in your life?
Sure you do.
You have to know how to deal with unmet expectations.
You have been and will be frustrated. Things don’t always go as planned. Someone has let you down, and others will in the future. Results may not be what you hoped for. You will have times in your life that what you want and dream of doesn’t come to fruition.
Simply put, we all have unmet expectations.
Here are the 5 strategies to effectively dealing with unmet expectations:
- Manage your expectations. Make sure you set realistic goals and expectations. Stretch yourself, sure, but set a course that is attainable. Know that you will do your best, but the final outcome will have many variables.
- Realize and accept you are not in control of everything. Accept that fact. You cannot control everything, or everyone, so stop trying to do so…but read number three.
- You are in control of many things. Know what you can control. You can control your emotions, your words, your actions, your thoughts. You can control how you respond and rebound to situations. Stop being a victim. Take ownership and get back to work on what you can do to make a difference in a situation and your life.
- Look in the mirror. Learn from your mistakes and unmet expectations. Ask yourself, “What can or could I do to change this outcome moving forward?” Sometimes, we see new methods and opportunities when we take the time to reflect on the past.
- Move on to greener pastures. If in the end a situation or person is cancer in your life, then the solution may be to remove it. No time for stinkin’ thinkin’. Surround yourself with positive, uplifting people that are interested in you, your goals, and your success. Not only will you feel better, but you will do better, and you will have way more fun along the way.